Ten Tips for Embracing the Menswear Look
For years designers of women’s fashion have had a love affair with the menswear look. Nothing’s more striking than seeing a woman wearing an outfit like a traditional print shirt tucked into a fluid trouser pant with pretty pumps. Remember old movies where the likes of Lauren Bacall or Katherine Hepburn were in men’s suits? They looked stunning! Wearing a boyfriend jacket, a loose pullover sweater or a trench coat can be really sexy.
There are a couple of ways to play this. Bringing a masculine element into a woman’s outfit can enhance her femininity. Plus, current designers are offering gender-neutral fashion. Whether you want to add just a hint of masculine detailing to your look or make your whole look menswear-inspired, here are ten ways to do it.
- A menswear inspired shoe can be very comfortable and fashionable! Choose to wear lace up shoes like oxfords or brogues, a monk strap shoe or loafers. These styles are great worn with skirts, dresses, ankle pants, and straight or skinny jeans.
- An oversized white menswear tailored shirt (it can come from the women’s department) looks great with a boldly printed pant. A fanciful pant in a geometric print, plaid, floral, paisley, or brocade is enhanced by the simplicity of the white shirt. How’s that for easy dressing?
- A camel trouser pant is the perfect base for a tucked in feminine silk blouse, a T-shirt with writing on it, or a simple pullover sweater. Layered necklaces or bracelets finish the outfit.
- Men’s watches are a preferred look by many women these days. Duck into the men’s departments and look for distinctive watches. This can be a signature accessory for you. Wear it to work or wear it on the weekends during family fun activities.
- Hats are both functional and fashionable. Wear your hair up or down in a fedora or a derby hat, or a beret for instant distinction. They’re great for keeping your head warm or as a cover up for a bad hair day!
- Menswear jackets are an easy third piece to wear over dresses, skirts, or tops and pants. A boyfriend jacket is oversized and slouchy. A bomber jacket has ribbing at the cuffs and bottom edge. A motorcycle jacket can look edgy and fun.
- When it comes to cardigans, there’s nothing like a cozy Grandpa-style cardigan sweater. Look for one with a shawl collar and leather covered buttons. Add it to a checked or plaid shirt or a simple T-shirt and wear it with slim wool pants, jeans, or trousers for an accessible look.
- Simple pullover sweaters in classic colors like camel, navy, or charcoal can be workhorses in your wardrobe. A cable knit sweater is another strong menswear-influenced choice. This can be a perfect choice to wear over printed skirts and dresses. Layer one over a floral print shirt so the print of the collar and cuffs peek out.
- A velvet blazer brings up images of men in parlor rooms smoking their cigars after dinner. Velvet pieces are easy to find this year and a blazer will be striking and chic worn with blouses, shirts or T-shirts. It can be casual with jeans or elegant with silk pants for a formal event.
- A tuxedo pant is classic and charming on a woman. Go with traditional colors or find one with a pop of color. Wearing it in a formal setting is fine but how about making it casual by teaming it with an oversized sweater, a jean jacket, and a loafer.
I’m excited to help you put together your unique look this season with menswear-inspired pieces. The possibilities are endless. Let’s make an appointment!